FB

Powered By Blog Gadgets

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Using Board Games for Reading Practice and Fluency (and a FREEBIE!)

Click on the picture to see this product on Teachers Notebook.

I played this reading board game with my own children.  My son was reading the CVC words while my daughter read the sentences.  Then, they both wrote words or sentences on recording sheets with dry erase markers.  It was great practice with little protest because they love to play games!  

I have actually made several similar games for my classroom over the years.  Students love to take them home.  Parents find them easy to use.  They are a simple, quick way to practice reading without overwhelming reluctant readers.  Most importantly, my students ASK to play them with friends at school and often request to take them home.  

So, I have tried to make games that appeal to several groups of readers in my class:  those just beginning to merge sounds to make words, students who need sight word and fluency practice, and a more challenging set for the high flyers.  One of the things I love the most is that students don't have to use the same set of cards in order to play the game together!  

I hope your students are enjoying the games as much as my class and my own children.  Click on the picture below to download a FREE one for spring!   

Thank you for reading!  
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment