FB

Powered By Blog Gadgets

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Writing Journals and Some FREE Pages!

Click on the picture to see it on Teachers Notebook.

We will be concentrating more on writing this semester, both in school and at home.  Most of my kinders are able to come up with sentences on their own, consistently use the word wall as a resource, and are more comfortable using invented spelling.  So, it's time to increase my expectations regarding writing.  That's where our writing journal prompts (I'll post regarding those later.) and these sets of writing pages come in.  

The set featured above provides students with full-page opportunities to draw and write.  I use these most often as reading response pages and/or when I want to display our classroom work. They provide a nice space for children to illustrate their writing and room for at least 2 or 3 sentences.  Plus, one set comes with clip art that most of the children enjoy coloring to decorate their page.  

The pages focus on common themes like the gingerbread man, the seasons, the weather, vacations, birthdays, holidays, and more.  These pages can be used alone or as a reading response after covering a book on the topic.  Some of the pages, such as "My favorite character was . . ." were obviously designed with reading response in mind.  

When I display these in the classroom, I like to make a "frame" by mounting them on construction paper.  This requires trimming about 3/4 of an inch from around the pages in order to show the "frame."  Reminder:  trim the writing pages before you give them to students.  If I forget to do this, I always have a couple that decide to draw or write all over the margins!   Of course, you can also just use larger sheets of construction paper, but I find that trimming those is not as convenient.  

I have a 5-page sample set to go with this writing journal.  To try out some pages, please click on the picture below.  
Click on the picture to see this on Teachers Notebook.

I hope your students enjoy writing with these!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment